Sunday

For Nina

After the recent passing of my aunt Bea, I had the privilege of serving as a
pallbearer and lector for her services. Although, I'll always have fond memories
of my aunt Bea, my cousin Zeke will always refer to her lovingly as "Nina". The
following is Zeke's final message at aunt Bea's grave site service, in which he
served as a lead member of the bereavement team of Holy Family Cathedral in Orange.

For Nina

John 12:23-26
And Jesus answered them, "The hour has come for the Son of man to be glorified.
Truly, truly, I say to you, unless a grain of wheat falls into the earth and dies,
it remains alone; but if it dies, it bears much fruit. He who loves his life loses
it, and he who hates his life in this world will keep it for eternal life.
If any one serves me, he must follow me; and where I am, there shall my servant be
also; if any one serves me, the Father will honor him.
"With the passing of our loved ones often comes an important time of grace. A time of examining our own lives, a time of growth, a time for families to mend their differences, but most importantly a time of great clarity and TRUTH!" You may ask as Pilate did "what is truth?" There is only one truth and it resounds in all mankind hearts.
Mark 8:34-37
And he called to him the multitude with his disciples, and said to them, "If any
man would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me.
For whoever would save his life will lose it; and whoever loses his life for my
sake and the gospel's will save it. For what does it profit a man, to gain the
whole world and forfeit his life? For what can a man give in return for his life?
"Amazingly trustful words for us to contemplate
at this time of grieving. Do not let this "beloved grain of wheat" which has
fallen into the earth pass us by without it bearing much fruit in all us standing here!"

"I went to take my Nina the Holy Eucharist often, my sister Jo Anne one day and I the next, and one day towards the very end of her suffering, I spoke with her about our faith and all the external signs of our faith. I said, "Nina you were Baptized, made your first Communion, and were Confirmed, you were married in the Church, you went to Confession and had the Anointing of the Sick, and of course received our Lord in the Holy Eucharist. You did all these things over the course of your life and made sure your children did as well. Now it is time to trust the Lord and accept all these external signs into your heart and soul." I told her, "do not be afraid, you belong to God." She thought about it for a second and gave me a look of strong resolve, she grabbed my hand tightly and shook her head yes! I knew then that she was ready to accept her passing.
"Nina, may you be in the presence of God's love. My love and prayers will always be with you, till I see you again. This is the day the Lord has made, let us rejoice and give praise. Amen.

Love Your Godson,

Ezekiel

My brothers , let us all grab hold of the external signs of God's love for us, the Sacraments. The gifts our Lord left for us, so we may take up our cross and follow Him. In, receiving His Sacraments, we receive His Grace, and in receiving His Grace we can cultivate that single grain of wheat that has fallen in each of us. So we may bear much fruit. I know my Aunt Bea bore much fruit and I believe Our Lord is saying to her "Well done my good and faithful servant." What about you, are you ready for the harvest?

Peace and Blessings

Ed

Thanks Zeke for a inspiring message.



No comments: